9.09.2012

Steering Wheel Cover






It was almost a million degrees outside and after a long hot day of work at the hospital, the worst was coming out to my hot car and having to hold on to a hot steering wheel. Boo.

So I remembered a pin I had repinned not too many days ago and set out to prevent burns and driving with just my fingertips.

Materials:

  •  Fabric (I loved this fabric so much from my last post)
  •  Sewing machine and the rest
  • Elastic or elastic string
  • Safety pin
  • Measuring tape
  • Oh, and a car...
 1. To get your measurements, measure around the entire steering wheel and then around the wheel like how you hold it.

2. Cut your fabric like that with seam allowance. For example, my steering wheel dimensions were 48" x 4", so with seam allowances, I cut my fabric to 48.5" x 4.5". I had to sew a couple stripes together because my scrap was not long enough, but that might not happen to you.


3. Fold up and press half an inch on the long side.


 4. Ditto for the other side. This is when my hem gauge comes in handy. (You can also use your hem gauge to assess two-point discrimination for patients who have decreased sensation... but that's just the OT in me talking).


6. Sew it up! But stick close to the inside edges so that you have a pocket for your elastic.


7. Cut your elastic. Stretch it as much as it goes and cut that to your circumference length. And then thread it through one side. Cut another elastic and do the other side. Try to use a safety pin tied to the elastic for threading ease. And try not to swear as much as I did. It's not flattering... (Just kidding, threading elastic is fun...)



8. Stretch it onto your steering wheel and TADA!



You can cruise in style and with all your finger pads intact and blister-free!!

No comments:

Post a Comment